Sunday, December 27, 2009

Back Again

If you had asked me when I was in second grade what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have answered, "an author". Of course, I would have also told you that I wanted to use my authoring career to write books for boys along with my best friend, Steve. That hasn't happened and I suppose the direction for my desire to write has changed substantially since then. But despite my now-forgotten disdain for the many essay assignments imposed upon me by my schooling, in the end, that desire to write is still there.

A year and a half ago, I decided to intentionally neglect this blog in favor of a brand-spankin'-new, way-cool, business-oriented, imagery-centered blog showcasing my photography and videography work. That blog is still active and will remain so, but during the last year and a half, a feeling in me has been growing that I've been needing to resurrect my original blog. Don't get me wrong - I love my photo/video blog - but I guess there's just something inside of me that needs a portal for putting my thoughts on paper - you know, my real thoughts, the thoughts that stimulate my intellect before I fall asleep at night, the thoughts that sometimes just don't seem to fit amongst a bunch of photos of other people's weddings and updates on my work and livelihood. It's not that I want to compartmentalize my life, showing my clients and certain friends and family one side of me while showing the rest of my friends and family another side of me. I know there are some wedding photographers out there who believe in managing a single blog and like to speak plainly about religion and politics in the same place that they post photos for their clients to see. I have no problem with that...I guess I just feel like if I were to put all the stuff that I actually want to write about from my heart onto my photo/video blog, it might begin to consume the photos and videos and frankly, just become a confusing conglomerate to some of my readers (I know a few of you exist!) Beyond that, I guess I also feel that at least in my case, I have two separate goals. One: to showcase and promote my work (and Kelsey's work) in a way that will hopefully help me grow as an artist and maintain the success of our company. Two: to challenge myself and others in matters of the mind and heart. While these two goals will surely overlap at times, they don't overlap completely and I feel like each goal deserves its own space.

So here we go. This blog, "Fijitown", is my own personal space. It does not belong to Primavera Studios; it belongs to Kevin Visel. This is my space to speak freely - spread my wings, so to speak, and allow myself the catharsis of transparency and of emptying the thoughts in my head into print form. Everyone is invited to read, comment, or not - whatever you like. I've also chosen to keep a few of my older posts from this blog's history, since it just feels wrong to delete them...kind of like book-burning. I think a few people out there will be happy to know that I'm resuming this type of writing. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

No comments: